The Leicester Bowling Club was formed in 1906 and the centenary was recorded with the publication of our history handbook. Extracts and photographs from the Handbook are shown below with kind permission of authors and researchers P Thake, J McVicar, D Morgan
The Club was founded in 1906 and a pavilion was built in 1907 on land on Victoria Road, now known as University Road, and leased to the Club by the Corporation. In the same year the green was laid with Cumberland Turf – the first time this was used locally. The green was officially opened in June 1907.
An extension was built to the pavilion in 1924 which consisted of both a Committee Room and Ladies’ Room.
The land continued to be leased from the City Council until the mid-1960s when it was sold to Leicester University for the purpose of building the Medical Sciences Building. The University offered the Club a site in Kenwood Road which was adjacent to the home and gardens of the Vice-Chancellor of the University where the Attenborough family lived during the 1930s and 40s. During 1967 the present pavilion was built and the green constructed with Cumberland Turf – what else? Play started the following year.
Changes continue to be made in the Clubhouse, green and surrounds. In 1988 the roof was replaced and following some water problems on the green a new drainage system was installed. Outside the clubhouse several features were constructed. A promenade deck was made with tables, chairs and umbrellas (enjoyed most in the sunshine!), a Jubilee garden and a petanque court. More recently new ditches around the green conforming to E.B.A. guidelines have been put in place and the gents’ toilets have been refurbished. In the past few years, also, the surrounds of the Club have been made much more attractive by the hard work of members men & ladies who give of their time and skill regularly.